『나라를 위한 기도의 날』 - 정전협정 기간 중에 숨겨진 이야기 > 크리스천 이승만

본문 바로가기

크리스천 이승만

『나라를 위한 기도의 날』 - 정전협정 기간 중에 숨겨진 이야기

페이지 정보

댓글 0건 조회 2,363회

본문

The remarkable story of a Christian war correspondent and the part he played in the Korean truce

정전협정 중에 크리스천 종목기자로서 감당했던 놀라운 이야기

By Douglas Bushby (더글라스 부쉬비)  /THE VOICE OF HEALING  November, 1954

While I was in Seoul I suddenly felt led of the Lord to request President Syngman Rhee of Korea to follow President Eisenhower's example in calling a national Day of Prayer for Korea on July 4th. The Korean situation was critical.

내가 서울에 있을 때, 7월 4일이 미국에서 전통적으로 ‘나라를 위한 기도의 날’로 호칭하고 있는 아이젠하워 대통령의 선례를 따라 한국의 이승만 대통령에게도 그와 같은 날을 정하도록 요구하라는 주님의 강력한 영감을 갑자기 받게 되었다. 한국은 위기 상황 가운데 있었다.

I also inquired about seeing President Rhee in person in the Presidential Mansion. The news correspondents all said that none of them were allowed to see him for several weeks because of the tension over the POW releases and that he was refusing to see anyone at the time. But I felt God wanted me to visit him God's ways work!

나는 대통령 관저에 대통령께서 계시는지 알아보았는데, 뉴스 특파원들은 모두 하나같이 수 주일 간이나 대통령을 볼 기회를 갖지 못하였는데, 까닭인 즉, 반공포로의 석방과 관련한 긴장감으로 누구의 접견도 지금은 거절한다는 것이었다. 그러나 나는 하나님께서 이 대통령을 방문할 것을 원하고 있고, 주님의 방식으로 도우실 것이라는 것을 알았다.

I visited the Korean Government Information Office and received a blank refusal of my request for a visit with the President. This was the office which arranged such appointments. So I went to prayer again. I finally managed to persuade the three Chiefs of the Korean fighting forces chaplaincy corps to make some good contacts for me. After dining with high Korean officials, meeting the Defense Minister, the Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, the Foreign Minister, and an ex-premier, to explain my mission, I felt I was going to visit President Rhee that week I had also managed to secure the cooperation of some Korean Generals and an Admiral of the Korean Navy who was a friend of mine.

내가 정부 청사에 들러 대통령과의 면담 요청을 관장하는 사무실에 가 보았으나 나의 요청은 사유가 없이 거절되었다. 나는 다시 기도하기 시작하였으며, 접촉을 쉽게 할 수 있도록 연합군 측의 세 사람의 주요 인사들에게 마지막으로 설득을 요청하였다. 한국측에서 고위 관리 한분과 국방장관, 다국적 연합사 의장, 외교부 장관 그리고 전 국무총리에게 나의 임무에 대해 설명하였는데, 나는 그 주 중에 대통령을 만날 것이라는 감이 들었고, 보다 확실히 해두기 위하여 한국군 장성들과 나의 친구인 해군 제독에게도 협조를 요청하였다.

I placed a carefully written application for the appointment. Then I by-passed the usual channels and talked directly with the President's secretary who happened to be a christian. I felt that I was getting somewhere I told him I represented, as an official UN War Correspondent, several publications in America as well as many Christians, and that we really had Korea on our hearts and in our prayers I could see that he was greatly impressed I knew that God's power was at work.

나는 면담 요청 내용을 세심하게 작성한 다음, 행정절차에 따라 넘기고, 우연찮게도 기독교도인 대통령의 비서에게는 직접적으로 얘기해 두었다. 나는 UN 종군기자로서 보통의 기독교인들이 하는 것처럼, 미국에서 가져온 간행물들을 그에게 주고, 나의 신앙을 그에게 얘기했고, 우리는 한국을 마음에 품었고, 기도하였다고 하자 그가 크게 감명받는 것을 보고, 하나님의 손길이 도와주시고 있다는 것을 나는 알게 되었다.

Next day I receive a telephone call at my press billet. They told me I was wanted on the telephone by President Rhee's secretary! I was informed that the President wanted to see me I could hardly believe it. The other correspondents were staggered with surprise. They hadn't been able to get near the President in many weeks. But here I was, a non-descript war news correspondent, preacher and Gospel distributor, being honored by having the opportunity of visiting the President of Korea!

다음날, 통신 막사에서 전화 한 통을 받았는데, 이 대통령의 비서로부터 온 것이었다! 대통령께서 나를 만날 것이라는 얘기를 들었을 때, 도저히 믿기지 않는 것이었다. 다른 통신원들이 까무라치듯 놀라워 했는데 그들은 수 주간이나 대통령 곁에 접근이 되지 않았던 것이다. 그러나, 나는 전쟁기사를 직접적으로는 취급하지 않는 목사, 복음 전도자로서, 한국의 대통령을 방문할 기회를 얻었다는 것은 영광스러운 일이었다.

I thanked the secretary profusely! I found that all of the available jeeps had gone somewhere. So I persuaded another correspondent, bound for another mission, to run me over to the Presidential Mansion. He asked, "How did you ever do it, Bushby?" We drove through many guards without trouble. I was thoroughly searched and inspected and interrogated. But I had no trouble, as they were expecting me I had plenty of good identification.

나는 진심으로 비서에게 감사하였고, 모든 차량이 어디론가 가고 없어서, 다른 업무로 출발하는 이웃 특파원을 설득해서 대통령 관저에 데려달라고 부탁했다. 특파원은 “친구, 어떻게 한거지?” 하고 궁금증을 나타냈다. 우리는 별탈없이 경호부대를 통과했다. 나는 샅샅이 수색당하고 용무에 대해 소명해야 했다. 그러나 많은 협조 문건으로 아무런 제재를 받지 않았다.

Ushered into the Mansion, I found Korean Cabinet Ministers talking over the coming truce. They had just had an official cabinet meeting. I quietly waited to be taken in to visit the President. It was a tense moment and one which I shall never forget. God had indeed favored me with this great privilege which wasn't being extended to other news correspondents. I firmly believe that God and His divine will made the difference in my status and the others!

관저로 안내되었을 때, 한국의 내각들이 모여 휴전과 관련한 회의를 진행하고 있다는 것을 알았다. 공식적인 내각회의였다. 나는 대통령을 만날 때 까지, 조용히 기다렸다. 팽팽한 긴장감이 돌아 내 생애에 잊을 수 없는 순간이었다. 하나님은 진실로 다른 뉴스 특파원들과는 다른 고마운 특전을 나에게 선물로 주신 것이었다. 하나님은 그 자신과 그의 거룩함이 나와 다른 특파원들 간의 처지에 큰 차별을 만든 것이라고 긴히 느끼고 있었다.

The President was in a lovely side garden. He sat in a bamboo chair at a small table under beautiful trees. An empty chair was opposite him, nearby was a table with some official looking documents lying upon it. Behind the President stood two guards with loaded guns watching my every move. And I knew there were others I couldn't see. At the feet of the President a little dog played. My eyes quickly took these things in as I was ushered to the table by his secretary.

대통령은 소담한 옆 정원에 계셨다. 청정한 나무 아래에 마련한 작은 테이블이 있고 대나무로 만든 의자에 앉아계셨다. 빈 의자가 맞은편에 있었는데, 근처 테이블에는 공식 문서들이 놓여 있었다. 대통령의 뒤에서 무장한 두 명의 경호원이 나의 일거수 일투족을 감시하였다. 또 내가 알 수없는 다른 사람들도 있었다. 대통령의 발 밑에 귀여운 강아지 한 마리가 놀고 있었다. 비서가 테이블로 안내하는 동안에 재빨리 쳐다 본 것들이었다.

After being introduced I began to thank the President for his kindness in granting me the interview. I said to him “My mission is this Korea is under tension, America is wondering and President Eisenhower has called a national day of prayer on July 4th.” He nodded I told him that God had a solution for the problem of the truce and that prayer could do more than anything else in hastening that solution. I said it would do more than the demonstrations under way.

소개가 끝나고, 이 인터뷰를 허락해 주신데 대한 감사 말을 시작했다. “저가 드릴 말씀은 이것입니다. 한국이 긴장 하에 놓여있고, 미국이 어찌할 바를 몰라 당황하고 있으며, 아이젠하워 대통령은 7월 4일을 ‘나라를 위한 기도의 날’로 선포하였습니다.” 고개를 끄덕이는 그에게 나는 계속하여 하나님께서 정전 문제점에 관하여 해법을 가지고 계시고, 그러한 결과를 조기에 얻도록 어느 때보다도 관련 기도를 집중해야 합니다. 진행 중인 군사 작전보다도 기도에 집중해야한다고 봅니다.

I said, "Mr President, will you call a Korean National Day of Prayer on the same day as Eisenhower proposes for America? Thus the world will be shown that there is a unity in the basic matter of recognition of God and need for His guidance" I commended him for his brave attitude in releasing the prisoners of war. He talked on at length.

나는 “대통령 각하, 아이젠하워 대통령이 미국에서 주창한 동일한 날짜에 ‘한국을 위한 기도의 날’로 선포하시는 것이 어떻습니까? 그에 따라 하나님의 존재를 인지하는 모든 연합체에 드러나게 되면 그들이 하나님의 인도를 구하게 될 것입니다.”라고 말했다. 나는 대통령의 전쟁포로 석방을 칭송했으며 그가 마침내 입을 열었다.

I presented him with a copy of the book written by my friend, Dr. Fred Schwarz, entitled, "The Heart, Mind and Soul of Communism." I told him I was arranging to have it printed in Korean for his people.

나는 대통령에게 내 친구가 쓴 한 권의 책을 선물하면서, 한국에서 출판하려고 준비했다고 말했다. 책의 제목은 “공산주의의 마음과 영혼”이라는 것이었다.

He graciously took the book, leaned across the table and then bitingly said, "Young man, you take that book back to America! They need it over there! America is going to wake up when it is too late!" They were fearful words.

그는 점잖게 책을 받아 탁자 너머로 몸을 굽히며, 날카롭게 말했다. “젊은 친구여! 당신은 이 책을 미국으로 되가져 가야 돼! 이 책은 미국에서 필요해요! 미국은 더 늦기 전에 깨어나야 합니다.” 참으로 두려운 경고의 말씀이었다.

"We Koreans already know what Communism is and what it does. We are fighting it more than any people on the face of the earth!" said President Rhee. I agreed with him.

“우리 한국인은 이미 공산당을 잘 알고, 또 무슨 짓을 하는지 압니다. 지구 상의 어떤 민족 보다도 열심히 싸우고 있소!” 라고 대통령이 말했다. 나는 그 말에 동의했다.

Then we started to talk of prayer. He said, "it is good to pray, but God also uses human instruments to do His will"

기도 부문으로 화제를 바꾸었다. 그는 “기도란 참으로 좋은 것이오, 하지만 하나님은 그의 뜻을 실행하는 데에 사람들을 쓰시는 것이지요.”라고 응대했다.

I said, "You are quite right, sir, and I believe God has raised you up as an instrument to warn this world"

나는 “각하, 말씀이 옳습니다, 또한 온 세상에게 경고하도록 하나님께서 각하를 들어서 쓰신다고 믿고 있습니다.”라고 말했다.

As our conversation drew to a close I suggested that we pray together."Yes, if you wish," said Korean President.

대화가 마무리 되어 가면서, 나는 함께 기도 드릴 것을 청했다. “그러시죠”라고 대통령이 말했다.

We stood up and I praised God for President Rhee's great Christian testimony and asked the Lord to give him wisdom to deal with the Red menace and to work out His will about the present distress over the truce. I opened my eyes to see President Rhee wiping the tears from his eyes with his handkerchief. He had been silently praying as I prayed audibly. We shook hands and I departed.

우리는 일어섰고, 나는 이 대통령의 위대한 그리스도인으로서의 결단에 대해 하나님을 찬양하였으며, 주께서 공산당의 위협에 대처하고, 휴전에 관한 고심거리에 대하여 주님의 뜻이 무엇인지 알도록 지혜를 달라고 간구하였다. 내가 눈을 떠서 이 대통령을 보았을 때, 그는 손수건으로 눈물을 훔치고 있었다. 내가 소리내어 기도하는 중에 그는 낮게 조용히 기도하였다. 우리는 악수하고 헤어졌다.

I had no way of getting back to my billet. So I became the first Presidential visitor to start walking down the long garden road out of the grounds. But I hadn't gone fifty yards when the President's car caught up with me and I was taken to my press billet in style.

나는 막사로 돌아올 차편이 없었기 때문에 대통령 방문자로는 최초로 걸어서 정원을 나오게 되었다. 그러나 얼마가지 않아 대통령의 수행차가 나를 태워 멋지게 막사까지 돌아올 수 있었다.

The very next day I was called by the President's secretary to return to the mansion. She had drafted out, on the orders of the President, a National Call to Prayer to go into every paper, over every radio station in Korea.

바로 그 다음날, 대통령의 비서로부터 관저에 와 달라고 전화를 받았다. 그녀는 대통령 명으로 ‘나라를 위한 기도의 날’에 관한 보도자료를 모든 신문과 한국의 모든 라디오 방송국에 발송하려고 준비해 놓고 있었다.

To this day I don't know why I was so stupid. The President had decided to call a week of prayer instead of a day and it was to begin on July 4. I was asked to re-draft the proclamation as I thought best. It was a high honor I altered the wording of the secretary from a week to a day. The day of the 4th would coincide with the day President Eisenhower had suggested and set. Apparently, I thought a week would be too long!

나는 지금까지도 그 날 왜 그런 바보짓을 했는지 아직도 잘 모르겠다. 대통령께서는 7월 4일을 시작으로 일주일 동안을 나라를 위한 기도 주간으로 정해 놓고 있었다. 비서는 선언서가 잘 작성되었는지 검토해달라고 요청하는 것이었다. 나는 송구스럽지만 일주일을 하루로 바꾸었다. 7월 4일 하루로 정한 것은 아이젠하워 대통령이 제안한 기도의 날 제정과 일치하는 것이었다. 말하자면 일주일은 너무 긴 시간이라고 나는 생각한 것이었다!

What a testimony to Korea this was! The President had asked all people, Christian and non-Christian, to get together and ask Almighty God to deal with the Communists in the grave hour of crisis. It was a simple proclamation of about one hundred words. But it was a very strong call to prayer. This old man of God knows his faith and practices it.

어떠한 역사가 한국에서 일어난 것일까. 대통령은 모든 국민, 즉 비-그리스도인에게도 이러한 위기의 암담한 시점에 공산주의자들을 견제하기 위해, 힘을 모아 전능하신 하나님께 도우심을 요청해달라고 선포해 버린 것이었다. 선언은 백 단어로 작성된 짤막한 것이었다. 그러나 그것은 매우 강력한 기도 요청이었다. 이 노익장의 하나님의 사람은 자신의 신앙을 견지하고 실행에 옮겨버린 것이었다.

I asked the secretary if she would give me a copy of the proclamation as she had just rewritten it. I got the first copy before she had submitted it again to the President. In my haste, I had it on the INS, AP, and UP overseas cables in a few minutes. I also sent it to local radio stations. They contacted the official Korean Government Information Department. The President, on learning of the significant change in time of the proclamation, was upset and wanted more information about Eisenhower's request for prayer. I felt myself in a sort of jam. An excited secretary asked me if the news of the call to prayer had been cabled overseas I said that it had. It was too late to alter it and change it back to a week of prayer as the President had wanted. I felt like kicking myself for my stupidity.

나는 비서에게 고친 선언문의 복사본을 줄 수 있냐고 물었다. 비서가 대통령에게 재가 받으려고 가기 전에 나는 첫 복사본을 확보했다. 나는 서둘러 INS, AP 및 UP의 해외 통신사에 수 분 만에 통지해 주었다. 또 지역 방송국에도 보냈다. 통신사들은 한국 정부 청사로 확인을 요청하였다. 선언서의 요청 기간이 바뀐 것을 알게 된 대통령은 당황하여 아이젠하워의 기도 요청과 관련된 보다 상세한 정보를 요구하였다. 나는 궁지에 빠진 것처럼 느껴졌다. 흥분한 비서가 개정하고 싶은 대로 해외 통신사에 뉴스를 넘겼느냐고 물었다. 대통령이 바랐던 한 주간의 기도 요청으로 선언문을 되돌리기에는 이미 늦어버린 시간이었다. 나는 나의 멍청한 짓을 심하게 자책하기 시작했다.

But, officially, the President released the proclamation as given and all Korea was called to prayer. This wise act of the President drew a letter of commendation from General Mark Clark, the UN Commander. He said it showed a fine spirit of cooperation and a realization of the basis of the fight against the Reds. I wondered if anyone else had ever written a national call to prayer for the President of a nation? But I can't understand yet why I altered the proclamation.

공식적으로 대통령은 형편대로 선언문을 공고하고 모든 한국민은 기도 요청을 받았다. 이러한 총명한 대통령의 의지에 유엔 사령관 마크 클라크 장군은 환영의 서한을 발송하였다. 서한에는 ‘나라를 위한 기도의 날‘ 선포는 공산주의에 대항하는 전투의 기본인 상부상조와 현실이라는 명백한 기풍을 보여주는 것이라고 했다. 나는 어느 누구라도 일국의 대통령에게 ’나라를 위한 기도의 날‘ 선포에 대해 요청 서한을 발송한 일이 있는지 궁금했다. 여전히 선언문을 건드려 고쳐버린 일은 나 자신도 그 이유를 잘 모르겠다.

Truly, my visit with President Syngman Rhee was an event and honor that I shall treasure all the days of my life. He is a devout Christian, practices his faith every day, and lives by the Bible. His education in the United States provided him with a discernment in his position that could have been attained in no other way.

참으로 이승만 대통령을 뵌 것은 하나의 대사건이자 영광이었고 내 일생일대의 보석 같이 여길 것이다. 그는 독실한 크리스천으로 매일 자신의 신앙을 고백하며, 성경을 옆에 두고 살았다. 미국에서의 교육은 그로 하여금 지금의 위치에 맞는 통찰력을 갖도록 해 주었으며 다른 방법으로는 얻을 수 없는 것이었다.

His recent visit to America and his warnings about the plan and menace of Communism are of great importance to all who love freedom and especially to those who call themselves Christians. He sees the need of stopping the rapid spread of Communism.

그는 최근에 미국을 방문하여 공산주의자들이 가진 의도와 협박에 대하여 경고하였는데, 이는 자유를 사랑하는 모든 세계와 특별히 크리스천이라고 불리는 사람들에게는 의미심장한 것이었다. 그는 공산주의의 급격한 확산을 중지시켜야 한다고 역설했다.

His country is an example of its ravages and results. There has been a cessation in the fighting but there is distrust and fear in the minds of the people. They see no peace until Communism has been defeated on the fields of battle. It has not been defeated at the peace conferences nor in the field of diplomacy. How else shall it be defeated? Christianity has the answer as it changes the hearts of people. Rhee knows that I know it as I have seen the results in Korea.

그의 나라, 곧 한국은 황폐해 버린 현실로 인해 그 폐해의 극명한 사례로 인정된다. 전투는 중지되었을지 몰라도, 사람들의 마음에는 여전히 불신과 공포가 떠 다닌다. 그들은 공산주의가 전쟁에서 패할 때까지는 평화가 올 수 없다는 것을 알았다. 공산주의자들은 평화회담이나 외교를 통해서는 진압할 수 없는 것이다. 그렇다면 어떻게 소멸시킬 수 있을까?

오직 그리스도의 마음으로 사람들의 양심을 되돌리는 것이 해답이다. 내가 한국에서 자세히 알게 된 이러한 내용들을, 이승만 대통령께서는 익히 잘 알고 계셨던 것이다.

[출처] 대한민국 국부 초대 대통령 이승만은 누구인가 | 작성자 전야

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

copyrightⓒ Miracle of Korea All rights reserved